[lbo-talk] On filtering

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 18 14:52:33 PDT 2010

Julio Huato wrote:

> For as long as I remember, Carrol has only replied directly to my
> posts twice. Never in the last four years or so. He may comment on
> what I post, but only by reference to replies by others (see the
> recent one via Ted Winslow's reply). I believe this is supposed to
> signal that he dismisses my ideas so much that he's taken the trouble
> of configuring his email account to filter out my posts -- or that
> somehow he skips all my posts. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe
> this to be really the case. My conjecture is that it's just pretense
> -- which (if true) is funny and sad at once. I mean, obviously we all
> pick and choose the material we read from the lists on the basis of
> our tastes and interests. But I'd think that when we find someone's
> ideas thought-provoking or informative (even if we strongly disagree
> with them), we tend to follow her/his posts. Am I wrong?

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:33:46 Julio Huato wrote:

shag wrote: what's at stake in that debate [clip] is "minds changing minds"?

Believing that we cannot, or need not, make a conscious effort to change individual minds is tantamount to believing that we cannot, or need not, change society consciously.

=====

That position was argued at extreme length on both 'sides.' Neither side moved from their initial positions, though the thread was still an invaluable one in achieving clarity on certain questions, whether anyone's mind was changed or not. Here, early in the thread, was the decisive statement rejecting your arguement. On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:47:48 Miles Jackson wrote:

"I've been in enough "diversity training" in my college gigs to know that persuasion is an ineffective strategy for social transformation. The more time people spend trying to change individual minds, the less time they have to engage in effective political action that leads to social transformations that eventually lead to changes in popular opinion. So it's a strategic concern: let's focus on political strategies that work rather than waste our time trying to change individual attitudes. Miles"

Many in the thread wanted to split the difference, to claim that _both_ persuasion and action were needed, but that is not the case. Persuasion (on the major issues) plays no role whatever in successful social movements. (Participants are continually "changing their minds" on tactical matters and debate there makes sense.)

Positions were fully clarified in that hefty thread, and it is clear that you and I do not share sufficient basic principles to make direct debate between us fruitful. You represent for me, as I said in a preceding post, a tactical problem that must be continually resolved and re-resolved in practice, but you have nothing to say that it is useful for me to argue against directly.

Incidentally, later, in the same threadd (Dustup revisitedx) shag was moved to write: ""the spittle directed carrol's way, kinda green. see if you can't get antibiotics for that or something." That did not bother me, but it did reflectd the pointlessness of further debate around positions you expressed.

Carrol