[lbo-talk] why are white southerners so violent?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 18 18:41:08 PDT 2010

________________________________ From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Fri, July 16, 2010 11:00:20 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] why are white southerners so violent?

"A History of Violence: Testing the ‘Culture of Honor’ in the US South"

FEEM Working Paper No. 51.2010 PAULINE GROSJEAN, University of San Francisco

Although this paper is dated June of this year I remember reading awhile back, maybe one or two years back, about an experiment in triggering violent behaviour that cited a paper with the exact same hypothesis and conclusion.

The study was one of "accidentially" bumping people in crowded corridors and testing people's reactions. The experiment was run with both median size and large males doing the "bumping". Overwhelmingly, white males from the south were ready to come to blows rather quickly, when compared to white males from elsewhere or minority males. The study I read was done in the US.

The individuals conducting the "bumping' experiment cited a paper that sounds identical to this one.

Is anyone aware of another study nearly identical to this one?

John Thornton