[lbo-talk] Palestine Think Tank: Jeff Blankfort - Chomsky and Palestine: Asset or Liability?

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 07:23:32 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> I don't get this. "We" "boycott" Israel, but our government will still support
> it unquestioningly? Wouldn't it make more sense for Americans to agitate
> against official support for Israel? Otherwise, it sounds like moral high-horse-ism.

As Joseph and Gar have pointed out, BDS -- which, truthfully, I have some issues with -- is not a movement imposed by some western Us on the Palestinian Thems. From what I understand, it started with Palestinians pushing for the boycott and non-Palestinians implementing in close consultation with Palestinian groups, similar to how the anti-sweatshop activists listened to factory workers and called for boycotts only when there was consensus supporting them among workers.

As for convincing the government to stop supporting Israel, I think you are just being contrarian. You don't really think "we" can convince the entire state/war apparatus to change it's mind do you?