[lbo-talk] Palestine Think Tank: Jeff Blankfort - Chomsky and Palestine: Asset or Liability?

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 08:52:51 PDT 2010

Voyou wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 10:31 -0400, SA wrote:
>
>> On the third hand, all of these objectives can be satisfied with BDS of
>> *US* (or other) firms with investments in Israel or that do business
>> with the Israeli mil-ind complex, so I can't understand why there's a
>> need to target Marks and Spencer, a campaign that really does creep me
>> out.
>>

> Marks and Spencer has investments in Israel and does business with the
> Israeli military-industrial complex (specifically, it sells goods made
> in the illegal settlements). It seems like a sensible target by your
> criteria, so I'm not sure why including it in a boycott campaign would
> creep you out.

I don't know all the particulars about M&S, but virtually every mass retailer sells products made in Israel, including the settlements. Boycotts, etc., are always selective, and I don't see the point of this particular selection: A campaign, say, to get a university to divest from Caterpillar has none of the ambiguous undertones of a boycott of Jewish-run stores, which, according to the Wiki page, has already led, predictably, to at least one incident of vandalism and graffiti.

SA