[lbo-talk] on the transformation problem

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 12:02:00 PDT 2010

Shane Mage --

Perhaps. But, nonetheless, isn't it the case that all the significant theorizing about monopoly and oligopoly pricing (even Sweezy's "kinked demand curve") has taken place on an entirely Marshallian basis? And where is Marx's theory of secular change (inflation/deflation) in the price level? Isn't it rather the case that Marx's deep interest was not in prices at all, but rather in the laws of motion of the capitalist mode of production and most especially in the "Law of the Falling Tendency of the Rate of Profit" and its effects?"

^^^^^ CB: I respect your extensive investigation of these issues to a thesis level, but if Marx was so especially interested in "the law of falling tendency of the rate of profit" it would seem he would have gotten it into the Volume One of Capital that he published and /or would have finished at least that part of Volume III before dying. It seems likely that he would have gotten all the issues he considered most fundamental and important to understand the laws of motion of capitalism into what he published; not left them in notes for Engels to publish.

^^^^^^^

> In addition: Should we be interested in price dynamics? Does our
> struggle benefit from a sharper understanding of price dynamics?

^^^^^^^ CB: How does our struggle benefit from understanding of "law of the tendency of the rate of profit to fall" ?

Of course we should--within the context of those laws of motion and their concrete *present* manifestations.