[lbo-talk] U.S. in Israel's corner

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 1 06:14:02 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> "We're the only ones who believe them"

What we have is the U.S. assuming 'pubic' responsibility for a policy which the other 'great' powers share bu would encounter greater domestic problems than will the U.S. in being public about it.

>From the 'beginning' the hardcore Zionist position has been that the
'Palestinians' HAVE a nation: it's named Jordan. In other words, from this position the Palestinians on the West Bank and Gaza are, in effect, "illegal immigrants," and the Zionist policy is to expel these "illegals" from the Isreaeli territory. The "Great Powers," led by the U.S. know this but it is not politically convenient to make this acknowledgment in public. Hence the series of UN resolutions going back over 50 years 'condemning' this or that Israeli outrage -- but no enforcement. This will conntinue as Israel continues to take one 'small' step after another which have the longrange goal of expelling all Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza. Given the weakness of leftists in both Europe and the U.S., there is no serious domestic resistance either in Europe or the US to this policy of nominal condemnation and real approval of this process of ethnic cleansing.

Carrol