[lbo-talk] Manufacturing Discontent

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Jun 3 02:30:52 PDT 2010

The World Association for Political Economy gave 8 awards for outstanding achievement in political economy in the 21st century. My book, Manufacturing Discontent, received one of them. Here is the brief note, which I wrote for the occasion:

Manufacturing Discontent is a study of social relations, not Marx's social relations of production, but the social relations -- real or imagined -- of the people who live and work under the yoke of capitalism. In this sense, the book is meant as a modest supplement to Kapital, which was a deep analysis of the social relations of the extraction of surplus value from the working class.

A longstanding project of capital is to shape virtually every aspect of people's lives in order to meet its needs. For example, as part of the management of the interaction of social relations inside and outside the workplace, spokesmen of capital tell workers that they should identify themselves as consumers instead of as workers. Rebellion against degrading and debilitating exploitation at the workplace is foolish; instead, intelligent workers should embrace their jobs, by identifying their work as a welcome opportunity to enjoy the benefits of consumption. In effect, the circuits of consumption and reproduction become harnessed to the social relations of production.

These social relations also help to determine the quantity of surplus value. For example, one dimension of this process is the management of the burdens of risk. Today we are reminded that when crises break out, out the same workers are told that their wages, their consumption, or their pensions are problems that must be corrected.

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com