[lbo-talk] the new official IDF line

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 08:46:20 PDT 2010

On 6/4/10, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> So we still have my question.
>
> Wild, lunatic actions can reflect either arrogance grounded in
> confidence of one's strenght, OR in the desperation of weakness.
>
> Which rules in Israel? It would be comforting to think that the Israelis
> feel their position to be weak; it would be even better to know that it
> was in fact weak. But...?

Is it the right question? It seems to me that the question beneath your question is trying to divine intent: is Israel acting crazy because it is crazy, or is it just pretending to be crazy? But Israel is acting crazy. Whether it's just playing a role and whether its weakness is real or "merely" perceived are secondary questions at best. What's important is effect, not motivation.