[lbo-talk] the new official IDF line

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 09:32:58 PDT 2010

Eric Beck wrote:

> Is it the right question? It seems to me that the

> question beneath your question is trying to divine

> intent: is Israel acting crazy because it is crazy,

> or is it just pretending to be crazy? But Israel is

> acting crazy. Whether it's just playing a role and

> whether its weakness is real or "merely" perceived

> are secondary questions at best. What's important

> is effect, not motivation.

Current events plus arrogance/strength might lead you to predict different behavior in the near future than the same current events plus desperation/weakness. So if I wanted to guess what Israel's government is going to do next, their motivation _would_ be important.

At least assuming that my curiosity was important at all. I live far away from Gaza, but if I lived there, I'd be _very interested_ in understanding the Israeli government's motivations.

yrs wdk