[lbo-talk] the new official IDF line

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Jun 5 09:38:21 PDT 2010

At 11:46 AM 6/5/2010, Eric Beck wrote:
>On 6/4/10, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> > So we still have my question.
> >
> > Wild, lunatic actions can reflect either arrogance grounded in
> > confidence of one's strenght, OR in the desperation of weakness.
> >
> > Which rules in Israel? It would be comforting to think that the Israelis
> > feel their position to be weak; it would be even better to know that it
> > was in fact weak. But...?
>
>Is it the right question? It seems to me that the question beneath
>your question is trying to divine intent: is Israel acting crazy
>because it is crazy, or is it just pretending to be crazy? But Israel
>is acting crazy. Whether it's just playing a role and whether its
>weakness is real or "merely" perceived are secondary questions at
>best. What's important is effect, not motivation.

i don't know. when i first read carrol's two choices i thought, "since when is this an either/or?" IOW, whenever anyone is arrogant, it is never an arrogance based on confidence. it's always arrogance based on a lack of self-confidence, low self-esteem, depression, whatever. the nationalizing myth Israel appears to tell itself, constantly, is that it is victimized and weak and so it is. It may appear to us that it isn't victimized and weak at all. but that hardly matters.

shag