[lbo-talk] when in doubt, revert to "balance"

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Jun 8 15:00:23 PDT 2010

I'm getting a lot of amusement these days out of what appears to be the emerging Times line, namely that the Mavi Marmara raid was... wait for it...

... "bungled".

If one were naif enough to expect any critical thinking out of the Times, one might expect an editor to prick his ears up and ask, Hold everything -- what evidence have we for *that*? What reason have we to believe that they didn't do exactly what they intended? That's sorta the null hypothesis, isn't it?

Amazing what a psychic defense in depth Timesfolk have on this subject -- trench after trench, all filled hip-deep with conceptual muck. I'm sure it's entirely unconscious. Some poor scribbler writes that the Israelis "bungled", and feels completely convinced that he's being very severe on the Light Unto The Nations.

Oh, whoops, sorry, shot you in the head four times. What *was* I thinking of? My bad!

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

"Everyone has his favorite passage from the Theodosian Code." -- M I Finley