[lbo-talk] U.S. in Israel's corner; IS is US

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:46:29 PDT 2010

Dennis: "And outside of analysis itself, don't you think learning about psychoanalysis helps further understanding of this world we're living in?"

[WS:] I think psychoanalysis obscures more than it can explain. "Inner sexual desires?" It reads more like a trashy novel than a scientific analysis.

Do not get me wrong, I agree with your main point that understanding the motives of human actors can provide useful insights into our understanding of institutional behavior. I just do not think that psychoanalysis is the right tool to do this job. It focuses too much on non-observable "inner motives" while missing social determinants of these motives. In that respect, psychoanalysis is to behavioral science what the neo-classical school is to economics.

Wojtek