[lbo-talk] when in doubt, revert to "balance"

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Jun 9 13:01:59 PDT 2010

> shag asked:
>
> if anyone happens to know which show [the NPR segment on frustrated
> Obama supporters] was on, and has a link to the NPR site, I'd
> appreciate it. I surfed around but couldn't find it.

> Voila:
>

> Progressives Ask: Is It Obama, Or Is It Us?
>
> <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127545645>
>

> The hand-wringing and tooth gnashing evident throughout (even in the
> reports' title) are hilarious. Yes I know, that's an evil thing to
> think and even eviler to say (these people are our potential allies!)
>

> But like Karen Black, I enjoy glamorous evil.

thanks. When I interviewed people and did participant observations for the SAQ piece, I didn't find that people were unwilling to criticize Obama. there was plenty of that, but the most animated responses were decidedly about attacking each other. The problem was always some other faction on the left who was the problem. The progressives whined about the liberals. The liberals whined about the radicals. the radicals whined about them both. others, like chomsky, just blamed the whole left, like bob in nevada does on this list. When there was silence on the issue, or perhaps, rather, just not giving a shit - it was from grassroots activists involved in nitty-gritty organizing (e.g., housing reform, legislative proposals, fair wage campaigns, or even just belly-button type stuff like practicing non-violence in your daily life). They just didn't give two shits about Obama because there was other stuff to do.

shag