[lbo-talk] a collage of lies

Victor Friedlander victor at kfar-hanassi.org.il
Wed Jun 9 22:40:14 PDT 2010

What occupation? Israel handed administrative control of Gaza to the Palestinian authority in 1994 and evacuated all security forces (as well as Jewish civilians ) in 2005. There is an on-going debate as to whether Israel's control of Gaza airspace and territorial waters constitutes occupation.

That's exactly the point of my original argument. The Gaza entity doesn't conform to any category treated by international law...it's a legal and administrative monster. The reasons for this involves Israel's intransigence regarding the protection of its citizens from Palestinian aggression and Palestinian intransigence regarding the acceptance of sovereignty on anything less than a final settlement. Thus my suggestion that Israel unilaterally declare Gaza to be an independent sovereign state, carry out an orderly termination of supply of water,fuel and energy to Gaza. and thereby compel the local authority to truly govern Gaza rather than simply use it as a base to mount attacks on their neighbor. Of course if the duly constituted sovereign Gaza government persists in armed belligerence towards Israel, then the blockade may be renewed on the basis of the Declaration of London and the San Remo Manual etc. etc....

It's admittedly a bit innovative, the declaration of independence of a region that rejects sovereignty, by its neighbors, but this is Southwest Asia, the region which gave to the world the city, the state, and written law and where anything can happen and probably will.

Highest regards Victor