[lbo-talk] new blog post: down along the coast, part 2

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sat Jun 12 09:33:45 PDT 2010

Full at http://blog.cheapmotelsandahotplate.org/2010/06/11/down-along-the-coast-part-2/

"At about the midpoint between Montera and Pigeon Point is the town of Half Moon Bay. Settled by Italian and Portuguese farmers and fishermen, it is now aimed at tourists, as is almost every town and small city anywhere near any natural attraction, or for that matter, with anything at all that can be hyped to the gullible. This can’t work for every town, just as every country can’t prosper by exporting goods and services alone. Half Moon Bay has managed to keep its downtown intact, and this alone makes it worth a visit. We did our laundry there, and we saw something common nearly everywhere in the country. Mexican men doing their laundry. Their wives and children are in Mexico; they are here, working or looking for jobs. On the corner, Mexican men congregated, shooting the breeze, while the white tourists cast wary eyes. In a bakery, an Anglo customer gruffly chastises the brown-skinned cashier for an error that turns out to be his."

michael yates