[lbo-talk] new blog post: A Coda on Solidarity: Iran, the Left and Noble Savages | The Activist

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 17:47:53 PDT 2010

Joe has thrown a disgraceful red-herring in the mix, which I don't particularly mind, but it's telling that for some people the Palestinian question trumps all others in the region. "The enemies of Zionism" deserve defense, above all other considerations. Implicit here is that the struggles of the Iranian people shouldn't be supported, lest their pursuit of human dignity indirectly benefit the apartheid state. For the record, though it's hardly relevant, the Islamic Republic is no friend of the Palestinian people and there are only a few shades separating the DSA position (which I don't endorse, but don't find quite so reprehensible) and Fatah's. Not that this issue bares any relevance to the question of the ANSWER coalition's support for the Iranian regime, which should lead to serious political questions on the broader left, ie--how to have a protest movement that doesn't rely on the organizational leadership of people with shit politics (UFPJ? a new formation?). And your last solipsism genuinely confuses me. I've never associated myself with any group that's defined themselves as "revolutionary," much less stridently and "anti-imperialism" has been pretty well sullied as a label.