[lbo-talk] new blog post: A Coda on Solidarity: Iran, the Left and Noble Savages | The Activist

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 18:25:58 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Bhaskar Sunkara <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com>wrote:

For the record, though it's hardly relevant, the
> Islamic Republic is no friend of the Palestinian people

The organization that published the article in question explicitly opposes the historic and universally-recognized demands of the Palestinians. There are reams to be written about the internal political struggles of the Iranians, but I trust you will understand my reluctance to buy the analysis of an organization that has historically sided with the enemies of both the Iranians and Palestinians - much less its determinations about who is, and is not, a "friend of the Palestinian people."

> and there are
> only a few shades separating the DSA position (which I don't endorse,
> but don't find quite so reprehensible) and Fatah's.

Which "shades" are those? Small, inconsequential matters like the right of return?

> Not that this
> issue bares any relevance to the question of the ANSWER coalition's
> support for the Iranian regime, which should lead to serious political
> questions on the broader left, ie--how to have a protest movement that
> doesn't rely on the organizational leadership of people with shit
> politics

Oy, veh.

> And your last solipsism genuinely
> confuses me. I've never associated myself with any group that's
> defined themselves as "revolutionary," much less stridently and
> "anti-imperialism" has been pretty well sullied as a label.

My mistake, then.