[lbo-talk] today

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 17 18:32:43 PDT 2010

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 10:37 AM 6/16/2010, Chuck Grimes wrote:
>
> > From Ulysses, sure. I never could get very far
> >into that ... some hundred pages of hard plowing with no pay off.
>
> James Joyce's Ulysses had an immense influence on me - almost
> entirely for the bad. J.G. Ballard

I read it all, and enjoyed it, but I guess I would say with Chuck tthat there was no particular pay-off for me. Among modern novelists I was more attached to Faulkner and then, just a few years ago, Virginia Woolf.

I 'read' through Finnegan's Wake even -- if one can call letting one's eyes rest on each successive word from first to last _reading_.