[lbo-talk] what are hipsters?

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 17 18:33:08 PDT 2010

M.J. Smith responded: Wasn't it ever thus? I remember hippies back in the 60s talking scornfully about "hippies". *********** That's because the bourgeois gatekeepers at "Time" mag coined the term 'hippy' and we all thought of ourselves as 'freaks'. A similar thing happened with the beats. Herb Caen turned them into commies by calling them beatniks, after sputnik. It's pure psy-war out there. You've got Peter Petersen and the 'Wash Post' in the virtual world running constant attacks on 'entitlements' e.g. Social Security and at the same time a few class conscious workers realising that labor is entitled to all the wealth it creates.