[lbo-talk] Dealing with PSL/ANSWER

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sun Jun 20 08:49:01 PDT 2010

Two really important points by Jim:

>>>Precisely. The twin goals of recruiting for the party and the ostensible
goal of the front group are contradictory. One negates the other so the whole thing becomes self-limiting.

See: Understanding Sects, Cadres, and Mass Movement Organizations

http://www.resistinc.org/newsletter/issues/1999/12/berlet.html

>>>One thing I genuinely do not understand is the almost uniform failure by the
left to organize on the financial crisis the way they did on the Iraq War. We have a humongous crisis of capitalism and the response from the left has mostly been crickets. I don't get it

See: Taking Tea Partiers Seriously http://www.progressive.org/berlet0210c.html

And the AFL/CIO Working America face-to-face organizing strategy: http://www.workingamerica.org/issues/jobs.cfm

-Chip

________________________________

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Bob Morris Sent: Sun 6/20/2010 11:07 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Dealing with PSL/ANSWER

Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:

> Isn't that the problem with most vanguardist parties? It seems to me that
> Workers World (before the split) and ANSWER had done a reasonably
> credible job in organizing antiwar protests during the run-up to the Iraq
> War. Eventually though, they hit a ceiling, and they seem to have been
> unable and/or unwilling to do what would have been required to expland
> these protests into a mass movement on the scale of the antiwar movements
> of forty years ago because that would have meant sharing control with people
> not affiliated with WW/ANSWER, and like most vanguardist groups, that was
> something that they were loathe to do.

Precisely. The twin goals of recruiting for the party and the ostensible goal of the front group are contradictory. One negates the other so the whole thing becomes self-limiting.

One thing I genuinely do not understand is the almost uniform failure by the left to organize on the financial crisis the way they did on the Iraq War. We have a humongous crisis of capitalism and the response from the left has mostly been crickets. I don't get it. ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk