[lbo-talk] workers take pay in virtual coin

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Sun Jun 20 19:08:39 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:51 AM, Max Sawicky <sawicky at verizon.net> wrote:
> Off-topic, FYI the Sunday Times book review has a piece on video games.

Was it this? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/books/review/Suellentrop-t.html?ref=review

Yeah, I watch few movies and play even fewer games, but I really found it odd how much I disagreed with Ebert's reasons. (As if movies aren't crassly commercial, where the box office and tie-ins are always mentioned?) It just didn't seem constructive. But then again, maybe there's something inherently ugly and precious about arguing whether something's art, and it'll twist all your arguments. Or maybe I just misread him.

Though it was nice that he linked to that clip from Melies' 1902 "Le voyage dans la lune." Around 6:15 there was a texture of costumes and the castle, which reminds me of some waking dreams I had as a child. I can imagine taking those images (since it's out of copyright) and using them in a game.

Actually, it's refreshing how openly crass startups are. http://techcrunch.com/2009/11/06/zynga-scamville-mark-pinkus-faceboo/

"I knew that i wanted to control my destiny, so I knew I needed

revenues, right, fucking, now. Like I needed revenues now. So I

funded the company myself but I did every horrible thing in the

book to, just to get revenues right away. I mean we gave our users

poker chips if they downloaded this zwinky toolbar which was like,

I dont know, I downloaded it once and couldn’t get rid of

it. *laughs* We did anything possible just to just get revenues so

that we could grow and be a real business… So control your

destiny. So that was a big lesson, controlling your business. So

by the time we raised money we were profitable."

BTW, David Wong argues that people are so willing to live in the Skinner Box because most of our jobs don't offer autonomy, complexity and connection between effort and reward. For this reason, the dullest in-game chores actually add to a sense of accomplishment. What do people do with virtual reality? Work. http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted_p2.html

All the best, Tj