[lbo-talk] Andy goes corporate

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 21 11:31:01 PDT 2010

<http://www.marketwatch.com/story/andy-stern-joins-sigas-board-of-directors-2010-06-21

June 21, 2010, 8:32 a.m. EDT · Recommend · Post: Andy Stern Joins SIGA's Board of Directors

NEW YORK, Jun 21, 2010 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX) -- SIGA Technologies, Inc. (SIGA 6.78, -0.02, -0.29%) , a company specializing in the development of pharmaceutical agents to combat bio- warfare pathogens, announced today that Andy Stern, labor leader and prominent advocate for reform, joined SIGA's board of directors. Mr. Stern is the former president of Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the largest and fastest-growing healthcare union in North America.

Andy Stern was responsible for growing the SEIU from 1.0 million members into a powerful 2.2 million member union. Under his leadership, the SEIU had been widely recognized as being an engaged and influential force driving healthcare reform and, ultimately, passage of the 2010 Health Care Reform Act.

"Andy is a strong leader and a great addition to our Board of Directors. His insight, experience, and leadership, particularly his understanding of how our federal government works, will complement the skill sets of our existing board members," said Dr. Eric Rose, SIGA's Chief Executive Officer.

Mr. Stern has been cited in numerous publications as being one of the most influential leaders on healthcare and a frequent White House visitor. In 2010, Stern was named a Presidential appointee to the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform.

Mr. Stern also serves on the board of directors of Broad Foundation, the Open Society Institute, and the Economic Policy Institute, as well as a lifetime Trustee of the Aspen Institute, and the President of the Kaiser Permanente Partnership.

Andy Stern is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and author of the book "A Country That Works" (Free Press).