[lbo-talk] Boy detained for Facebook insult murder in London

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 12:15:34 PDT 2010

But even this, which I see as quite different from your kill-for-dignity argument, is overstated. First of all, depending on what you mean by "the left", I don't think that you'd have a problem making that argument here... Secondly, though, my sense is that lots of union members and historically oppressed minorities concerned with civil rights voted Democratic in large part because they saw doing so being related to their union's power to generate wage increases/better benefits or for further opening up opportunities for mainstream success.

My feeling is that delusions of self-image and status are stronger in periods of personal, communal, national uncertainty and restructuring, which is not to say that they are not strong at other times. Reaganism's melding of neoliberal economics, neoconservative politics and romantic traditionalism fostered uncertainty and restructuring while aggressively advancing arguments which asserted attacks on individualism, on the work ethic, on Christianity, on America. I really think that what you say folks prefer to vote for is epoch-bound in many ways, cuz otherwise your argument is that the vast majority of union members, liberal feminists and civil rights activists who voted Democratic between 1936 and 1980 were voting for a self-image, for a status, independent of the relationship between Democratic policies and union, feminist and oppressed minority opportunity.

Of course, I am not so silly as to argue that this stuff wasn't directly related to the cold war or that labor law, civil rights law and anti-discrimination policies weren't written and operationalized in wildly contradictory ways but, nevertheless, I'm certainly not sold by the strong statement of your position as a broad-spectrum generalization.