[lbo-talk] Ravitch Warns Obama on Education Policy: 'Change CourseBefore it is Too Late'

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 12:36:26 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> One outcome of this could be a grass-roots education movement (a la Freire)
> that redefines what it means to be educated and distinguishes the meaning of
> an education vs the meaning of a degree.

I agree with this. The destruction of traditional education could be seen as an opportunity. It doesn't make much sense to me for people who admit that public education is a essentially a system for teaching control and discipline to turn around and defend the system and insist on its continuation. Talk about participating in your own repression! (Okay, it's a lot more complicated than all that, but I'm not up to subtle today.)