[lbo-talk] Ravitch Warns Obama on Education Policy: 'Change CourseBefore it is Too Late'

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 23 12:49:44 PDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> One outcome of this could be a grass-roots education movement (a la
>> Freire)
>> that redefines what it means to be educated and distinguishes the
>> meaning of
>> an education vs the meaning of a degree.
>
> I agree with this. The destruction of traditional education could be
> seen as an opportunity. It doesn't make much sense to me for people
> who admit that public education is a essentially a system for teaching
> control and discipline to turn around and defend the system and insist
> on its continuation. Talk about participating in your own repression!

Who among us is not a product of such a system?

I'll start: me, public primary and secondary, elite private college, "public Ivy" grad school. Of the three, the elite private was best. The public primary and secondary was the worst, but despite that, I'd still prefer that to some sort of "unschooling," which just strikes me as some Rousseau-ish fantasy about the development of the primal self. If I had $28,000 a year, I'd love to send my kid to St Ann's. Elite private quality for all!

Doug