[lbo-talk] Ravitch Warns Obama on Education Policy: 'Change CourseBefore it is Too Late'

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Jun 24 05:08:00 PDT 2010

At 07:25 AM 6/24/2010, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>I just don't think any of this fits neatly into your schooled/not schooled
>dichotomy. Over 50% of the population now attended college. It's horseshit
>to think that you know the clerk at Walmart has a GED and isn't a local
>college student.

It's also horseshit because it presumes socialization occurs entirely in school - falling into that hero teacher bullshit - and that socialization somehow stops at graduation. We work a good deal of our lives. We are socialized in our work. We are probably even more subject to the socialization in the workplace because our paychecks are tied to our success in that job.

It's also horseshit2 because it assumes that resistance takes visible forms - such as surliness to customers. I don't know, but I suspect working on your clients' websites for your own business, which several of my work mates, including two managers, do on the job is a form of resistance among the educated (and churched!) that doesn't get the attention simply because it's not visible to you, as consumer. As the article I posted recently from New Left Review points out, among programmers, resistance takes the form of objecting to the business/profit logic of management and business stakeholders. But the resistance actually only ends up serving the system as it becomes a check on the overzealous sutpidity of business stakeholders idiotic get rich quick schemes. IOW, it makes the product better - that is, something customers might actually want. tough that, in itself, is an interesting conundrum eh? :)

shag