[lbo-talk] Ravitch Warns Obama on Education Policy: 'Change CourseBefore it is Too Late'

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 06:21:11 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 7:08 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> At 07:25 AM 6/24/2010, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> It's also horseshit because it presumes socialization occurs entirely in
> school - falling into that hero teacher bullshit - and that socialization
> somehow stops at graduation. We work a good deal of our lives. We are
> socialized in our work. We are probably even more subject to the
> socialization in the workplace because our paychecks are tied to our success
> in that job.

Really, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

Seriously, we were talking about education so I related what I wrote to education. You are giving me shit for not accounting for the whole of social relations in a 10-sentence email?

> It's also horseshit2 because it assumes that resistance takes visible forms
> - such as surliness to customers.

I never meant to imply that. I wouldn't even say that surliness per se is resistance. It's probably just as likely to be coping. What I like about surliness is that it's a reminder to customers that the wage relation is always exploitative. (Now that's customer service.)

>I don't know, but I suspect working on
> your clients' websites for your own business, which several of my work
> mates, including two managers, do on the job is a form of resistance

Hey, I do that too. I'm more of a resister than I thought.

> But the resistance actually only ends up serving the system as
> it becomes a check on the overzealous sutpidity of business stakeholders
> idiotic get rich quick schemes. IOW, it makes the product better - that is,
> something customers might actually want. tough that, in itself, is an
> interesting conundrum eh? :)

Yup. By the way, I'm not sure how far you got in Commonwealth, but I dug the second chapter, Antimodernity, on slavery and colonialism. I think they do a much better job than they have in the past of showing something like what you say here: how resistance is primary, but how it also ends up being productive for capital and the state. Their treatment of this in Commonwealth is less valorizing of resistance than they've done before but they still don't give in to Zizekean resistance-is-futile bullshit.