[lbo-talk] NPR: A Neuroscientist Uncovers A Dark Secret

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Jun 29 12:51:31 PDT 2010

Carrol Cox wrote:
> It would seem to me that the interesting feautre is not that his brain
> looked like the brains of killers but that he was NOT a killer. It seems
> neurology doesn't explain everything. We knew that, but still this
> dramatic demonstration of the fact is interesting.
>
> Carrol

It fascinates me how many neuroscientists seem to be unaware of or unconcerned with the fact that they're drawing conclusions about the neurophysiological causes of behavior from correlational studies. Doing a PET scan or a fMRI scan does not make the correlational data any more compelling: it's still post hoc ergo propter hoc, baby!

Miles