[lbo-talk] Civil Rights in South Asia

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 13:45:20 PST 2010

But isn't personal income in China growing, infant mortality declining, etc.? Or is this all located in a minority of the population?

That said, I'm pretty sure its digital commons is not flourishing (but then I don't know Chinese, so I can hardly go online and check for myself).

----- Original Message ---- From: Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wed, March 3, 2010 12:23:52 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Civil Rights in South Asia

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On the other hand -- China has a flourishing digital commons?

Yeah, Dennis wants to have it both ways, or lots of ways actually, whatever it takes to bolster his BRIC valorization (which has replaced the pro-Europe/East Asia line he spouted up until very recently): There is, as he says, increasing protest--"space" for which, he intimates, is granted by the (development) state, rather than insisted on by workers--but what they are protesting is exactly the closing of the commons and their own further immiseration, which is demanded by international investors and gladly carried out by said heroic developmental state, not the flourishing of them. Somehow workers' declining fortunes and control are interpreted as proof that China is "quietly democratizing." It's all quite dizzying logic.