[lbo-talk] Civil Rights in South Asia

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 14:32:11 PST 2010

Chris Doss wrote:

That said, I'm pretty sure its digital commons is not flourishing (but then I don't know Chinese, so I can hardly go online and check for myself).

According to the China Internet Network Information Center, approximately 298 million Chinese are online. Some people assume that any info Beijing issues is exaggerated for PR effect.

To satisfy these wags, let's peep at a few other indications of a large and, I think it's even fair to say "flourishing" digital commons in the PRC.

Internet usage in China is so robust, there's a domestic rival to Google named Baidu:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu>

Internet usage in China is so boisterous, Beijing exerts a constant effort to filter 'unwanted' information and content:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_firewall>

Internet usage in China is so sticky sweet, there's now official recognition and clinics devoted to the treatment of "Internet Addiction", Earth's newest and most exciting malady:

<http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2009/0106/p01s03-woap.html>

Internet usage in China is so hearty, its domestic online gaming business is the source of seriously large hordes of cash:

<http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26396/China_Online_Games_To_Top_11_Billion_By_2012.php>

China's Internet penetration is developed *enough* to have enabled Ron Sims (aka "Black Man in China") to blog his adventures from across that sprawling land:

<http://www.tv.rsims2.com/>

And finally...

Internet usage in China is so lusty, the good women and men of Tech Crunch put up some blurbiage about its cremulent nature:

<http://techcrunch.com/2009/01/14/meanwhile-internet-usage-in-china-still-booming/>

Oh and there's the growing smart-phone market (which is another vector to online-ed-ness and therefore, counts as an contributing marker of a "digital commons".)

Mind you, none of this means that a fiery age of unfettered liberty is upon us. The word "flourishing" tends to bring to mind all sorts of lovely connotations. But hornet nests can flourish too.

The point being, lots and lots of Chinese are online. Who knows what that means? (Just as we really don't know...yet, what it means for so many people anywhere to be online). To call it "flourishing" -- liberated from negative of positive assumptions -- is just another way of saying many people are mixing it up in the virtual space.

.d.