[lbo-talk] Lerner bleats

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 09:59:59 PST 2010

[WS:] I know that I am repeating myself like a broken record, but why be angry at Obama for what is a systemic problem of the US political system? I am not angry at Obama at all, in fact I like him because he is more articulate and thoughtful than right wing trolls - and that is about all what a reasonable person can expect from the POTUS.

Hedges' piece is for the most part bullshit not tethered to the US reality. It suffices to say that if there were indeed a potential for anything else than the Democrat-Repug duopoly, that potential would have materialized itself in some form in the US history. The fact that it did not proves that there are systemic forces that prevent if from happening.

The only nod that I can give to Nader is not for his pathetic third party campaigns, but for his latest fiction suggesting a "revolution from above" - that is, prominent movers and shakers being fed up with the status quo and launching a movement to change it. That is a far more probable scenario than the delusional belief that one day "the people" will wake up and launch such a movement from below. Of course, "more probable" does not mean "realistic" - but slightly more probable, but still unlikely.

While we are at probabilities, I think that the percent of popular vote that Nader attracted in the last presidential election (less than 1% if memory serves) is indicative of the percent probability of a mass progressive movement bringing about the changes that Hedges is daydreaming about. The share that Ross Perot received can be indicative of the probability of a revolution from above.

Wojtek