[lbo-talk] Philip Mirowski - Social Physicist

Vincent Clarke pclarkepvincent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 10:44:19 PST 2010

> Cum hoc ergo propter hoc, baby!

So hang on a minute...

Psychiatry is objectified => Doctors with little or no formal psychological training begin diagnosing according to the extremely flexible DSM criteria (how much subjective judgement is here? hmmm...) => Rates of prescriptions of psychotropic drugs by GPs goes up.

Sorry, buddy - that wasn't a logical proposition... The cause and effect here is pretty damn clear.

> Actually, no, they don't. Another example: clinicians' predictions of
> dangerous/violent behavior in clients on discharge from a mental hospital
> is no more accurate than flipping a coin. Really, they're just pulling
> these predictions out of their asses. You want to know who's going to be
> violent in 5 years? Ignore clinicians and simply evaluate the past history
> of violent behavior. You won't be 100% correct, but you'll do better than
> the clinicians using their purportedly keen psychological insight.

You don't think that there is prison politics going on here, maybe? Cum hoc ergo propter hoc...

Also, that's a straw-man argument - I was talking about Lacanian psychoanalysts being able to diagnose psychosis before the overt symptoms had manifested themselves - this has nothing to do with criminal psychiatry or psychiatrists opinions on Millgram's experiments. I'm not really sure who you're arguing with here, but its not me. If I were to take a guess its psychology generally, since I'm the representative of this (supposedly) in the immediate vicinity I get to explain every psychiatric misdemeanour you can come up with even though I never supported them - that's called transference!