[lbo-talk] Philip Mirowski - Social Physicist

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 18:42:07 PST 2010

Well, we don't exist in a metaphysically monolithic society. We get one idea of what we are from society as a whole (the general population), another from our interaction with our immediate neighbors, another from whatever ideological group we are a member of, and another from our personal experiences. And our personal thoughts and genetic makeup. Add freedom of will in here if you are so inclined. All of which are mediated through each other.

----- Original Message ---- From: Joanna <123hop at comcast.net>

I have a problem with this because our sense of whether we are whole is not entirely dependent on social conditioning. There is an internal proprioception which also exists and provides the visceral sense that something is wrong though society says it is right.

For example, oppressed minorities are routinely told that they are inferior, stupid, ugly, incompetent, and every bad thing that you can think of. Yet some, are able to step out of the social hallucination and fully feel their shared and whole humanity, and revolt against this treatment. How would this be possible if truth were completely socially constructed?

Joanna