[lbo-talk] March 4

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 21:19:56 PST 2010

Chris Doss: BTW I did not "rave" about it. I stated that it had a high level of growth and a literacy program and was not a dystopia, not that it was super-awesome hell-on-wheels sweetness-and-cake or even marginally good.

Somebody: You often hear the same sort of denigration of Cuba before 1959; that it was a typical Third World basket case, when of course it was one of the most advanced economies in Latin America and a middle income country at the time. Fun fact: Cuba had more televisions per capita at the time of the revolution than France.

The relatively bloodless transition to a command economy in Cuba was made possible by the fact that it already had the attributes of what we'd now call an emerging market.