[lbo-talk] FYI & Comment if you Wish

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 07:44:57 PST 2010

Hi

I recently posted something on my web pages, and received some very, very nasty comments from white South Africans, most of whom consider themselves to be part of "the new South Africa" or and/liberal and wanted to dissociate themselves from the past... I found it shocking that some send me really ugly personal email messages (at least on "unfriended" me on facebook)...

Would people on these two lists care to give me their views on the blog post. I am not doing this for publicity - hell no. But I kinda respect people on these two lists... You can comment on the page, or on this forum.

A note. The first comment from "Shahied" is from my nephew, a "Cape Malay" kid who is so profoundly apolitical it breaks my heart The second is from an extreme right-wing character...

This is the post

Winnie Mandela startled whites (again). As well she should. In an interview with the Evening Standard, the basics of which were reproduced by The Times of South Africa, Winnie Mandela rattled the white community of the country with some home truths. The main point Ms Mandela made was that her former husband, President Nelson Mandela, negotiated a bad deal for black people and that indigenous Africans continued to suffer what may best be described as the deep impact of historical structural violence. There is, however, more to the issue…. Much more. The main point is that Ms Mandela is basically correct, and two points (for now) may suffice to demonstrate this “bad deal”. http://www.ilagardien.com/words/?p=418

Is