[lbo-talk] FYI & Comment if you Wish

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 08:35:25 PST 2010

doug

i was just shocked that people would consider this stuff to be so very "dangerous" i mean some people were truly horrified that I could even suggest that things were not as rosy, and that there was much laughter and forgetting going on.

one hates to parcel them off, but most whites complain almost every day about everything/anything; from individual cellphone service glitches - where everything is blamed on the new order notwithstanding that South Africa has for the past 20 years had some of the best cellular phone technology in the world - to the president's travels abroad "he should be sorting out things in the country"...

the fact of the matter is that the "race" question has yet to be addressed. everything was done in such a nice way and along such convenient patterns (stability, continuity, compromise), one wonders whether rupture, as opposed to continuity, may have worked better...

but, but ... a couple of "white" guys (yes, only two) did send me very positive replies.. one was especially miffed by the constant bitching and lack of historical context of most white complaints...

enormously frustrating!

thanks, anyway, doug

Is http://www.ilagardien.com My little space in the e-world: A profit-free zone :-)

________________________________ From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wed, 10 March, 2010 10:14:39 Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] FYI & Comment if you Wish

On Mar 10, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Ismail Lagardien wrote:

> Would people on these two lists care to give me their views on the blog post. I am not doing this for publicity - hell no.
> But I kinda respect people on these two lists... You can comment on the page, or on this forum.

What you say looks hard to argue with.

The whole story is important beyond SA. As revolutionary movements go, they don't come much better than the ANC - in the real world, at least. Yet while the transition resulted in an end to apartheid, SA is in many ways a more unequal and violent place today than it was before 1994. Figuring out how that happened seems really important.