[lbo-talk] FYI & Comment if you Wish

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Mar 10 19:37:54 PST 2010

=============================== I suppose it depends which Irish persons you have met. Sinn Fein, long regarded as the political wing of the now disarmed IRA, is the more popular of the two parties representing Catholics in West Belfast and other parts of Northern Ireland, the other being the Social Democratic Labour Party. It's less easy to measure what popular support there was for the IRA during the Troubles, but the mass demonstrations they were able to muster and their ability to survive as a sizeable urban guerrilla force in a confined territory for so long would seem to indicate that the Provisionals were regarded as rather more than thugs by the mass of Irish Catholic nationalists, even as their decision to stand down was widely welcomed.