[lbo-talk] Disappoint With #125

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 12:40:10 PST 2010

Ignorant fink without any sense of solidarity, huh?.... Somehow I think Carrol and others have come to see Chuck as supporting the use of adjuncts. Despite the fact that Chuck argued that sometimes adjuncts teach better than tenured faculty, I don't think he's arguing that adjuncts etc. are preferable or that they aren't super-exploited. My reading of his argument - and I try to read folks sympathetically given that they are contributors to LBO-talk - is that it is the rise of research faculty lines intended to garner massive NSF grants and/or university-industry collaborations and NOT teach much (and therefore almost never get any good at it) that he sees behind the expansion of the use of highly exploited and contingent adjuncts and the misallocation of university resources (even if he under-emphasizes many other contributing factors.)