[lbo-talk] Comparative post-Sovietology, 20 years on

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 08:22:00 PST 2010

Chris Doss: What I want to know is what the Hell happened in Armenia.

Somebody: I was thinking about this, and it occurred to me that there's a wealthy Armenian community in the U.S. Armenia, like a Christian counterpart to Israel, may be benefiting from the nationalistic goodwill of it's diaspora. Some quick and dirty internet research reveals that anywhere from a quarter to one third of the GDP is based on remittances and investment by Armenians living outside the country. Apparently the country even has a Ministry of the Diaspora to encourage this sort of thing.