[lbo-talk] Comparative post-Sovietology, 20 years on

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 08:55:45 PST 2010

That's the case with Georgia, Tajikistan, and Ukraine as well, though. Something like 25% of Georgia's GDP is from remittances sent home from Georgians working in Russia. One-seventh of Tajik adults are migrant workers in Russia IIRC. It could be the case that Armenia gets a lot of cash specifically from the Armenian Diaspora in the US, though. I don't know.

What singles Ukraine out is that it is the only industrialized republic that has not recovered from the 90s. Georgia, Moldova, and Tajikistan are all nonindustrial, and all have had civil wars in the past 20 years (Georgia had 3). So they have an excuse. Ukraine has the massive Kharkiv industrial center (the center of Soviet car production). I think the blog writer may well be right that the divided nature of Ukraine (the result of the Great Cartographer) has prevented it from establishing the necessary functional state.

----- Original Message ---- From: Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com

Somebody: I was thinking about this, and it occurred to me that there's a wealthy Armenian community in the U.S. Armenia, like a Christian counterpart to Israel, may be benefiting from the nationalistic goodwill of it's diaspora. Some quick and dirty internet research reveals that anywhere from a quarter to one third of the GDP is based on remittances and investment by Armenians living outside the country. Apparently the country even has a Ministry of the Diaspora to encourage this sort of thing.