[lbo-talk] showdown over piece of crap

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Mar 12 17:26:22 PST 2010

On Mar 12, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Doug writes:
>
>> Forcing people to buy shitty insurance may not work out well either
>> as policy or as politics.
>
> Sure, but again: that's a good reason to throw it out completely?
>
> I think if there's a lesson to be learned over the last 30 years
> it's that incremental creeping change is the way to get things done
> in this country. It's certainly how we've taken the biggest hits on
> our side ... I'm not saying that the Dems understand this -- in
> fact, the scope of this bill suggests they haven't learned their
> lesson yet.

The bill does nothing until 2014. And Obama promised that he would never ask congress to do anything else after he got his bill. So, in the best case, "incremental" change would not even be conceivable until after the 2016 election. Meanwhile, Medicare for All could be implemented instantly. If nothing were done, it would be the major issue of a left antiObama campaign in any future election, and it's already the choice of the majority. Isn't that enough reason to throw out Obama's bill--and Obama-- completely?

Shane Mage

The communist creed: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need. The capitalist creed: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.

Joe Stack (1956-2010)