[lbo-talk] Forbes: "There Is No Keynesian Miracle"

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 21:11:30 PST 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Sandy Harris <sandyinchina at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting article:
> http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0301/opinions-paul-johnson-current-events.html?feed=rss_popstories
>
> I wonder how folk here will respond.

It's really silly! We get this guy syndicated in the Australian Financial Review and I have no idea why. 'It would be a welcome change to see a serious contender put forward a basic proposition of economic and financial policy such as the following axiom: "There is nothing essentially different between running government finances and those of a family. The same penalties for recklessness and folly apply to both. And, in both, the same prudence, integrity and self-sacrifice will bring success. Anyone who tells you different is deceiving you."'

There is really no other argument advanced. He asserts that government deficit spending cannot have any effect, does not say why this counterintuitive proposition might be true, not even giving the usual 'Ricardian equivalence' crap. Then some stuff about how ordinary people see through all this fancy-pants intellectual nonsense with the power of common sense drawn from experience with the household budget. Then the argument is repeated to fill the word count.

Mike Beggs