[lbo-talk] Engineers and Republican/libertarian bent

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Mar 15 16:34:52 PDT 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:13:11 -0400 SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> writes:
> Bryan Atinsky wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I know of studies that relate engineering to extremist
> > mindsets, but is there any statistics about the number/percentage
> of
> > engineers voting republican/libertarian?
> >
> > Or is this an old-wives tale?
>
> http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~ngross/lounsbery_9-25.pdf
>
> See the table on p. 33. Engineering/comp. sci. professors are the
> most
> Republican / least Democratic of all the disciplines (except
> business).
>
> Keep in mind this is a sample of engineering professors, not
> engineers.
> I would guess private-sector engineers would be even more
> conservative.

I suspect that this is a phenomenon that crosses different national cultures. During the 1979 Iranian revolution, the most ardent supporters of the Islamists tended to be engineering students, whereas the humanities and social science students tended to be supportive of Marxists or other secular leftists. Even today, many of the most ardent supporters of Islamist movements in the Middle East seem to be in engineering or IT.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant