[lbo-talk] Engineers and Republican/libertarian bent

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 05:03:49 PDT 2010

[WS:] Chuck G. is right. There small businessman mentality seems to be the root cause of conservatism of many engineering types. I would also add another factor: cognitive rigidity an intolerance of uncertainty and ambiguity that creates emotional need for control and certitude. Many engineers (including my old man) seem to have that trait - that is perhaps what attracted them to engineering in the first place (the more creative and free-thinking types tend to gravitate toward arts, humanities and social/behavioral sciences.) From that, there is only a small step to embrace an ideology that professes "law and order" which in this country happens to be conservative but elsewhere (eg. former Soviet bloc) can be communist.

Wojtek