[lbo-talk] Disappoint With #125

Fichtenbaum Rudy rfichtenbaum at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:28:20 PDT 2010

If you want to see what is driving expenses in higher education look at the growth of administration. In particular look at spending for institutional support (central administration -- vice presidents, associate vice presidents, assistant vice presidents ). To be a vice president you have to be in charge of someone so they all get to hire more people. Also look at Academic Support which includes all sorts of centers -- centers for teaching and learning, centers for writing, centers for sustainability, centers for service learning and research and sponsored programs. Academic Support also includes Deans offices. At my school we have about 50 tenured and tenure track faculty, 10 instructors and lectures, 6 department chairs and 21 people who work in the Dean' office. Also look at student services -- every campus now has a fitness center with rock climbing walls etc. Intercollegiate athletics is another sink hole. We budget a transfer of $8.5 million last year from educational and general to support intercollegiate athletics. This number seems to go up every year. That is just what we budget. It seems that the Athletic Director doesn't feel constrained by his budget and ran $1million above the budgeted amount two years ago and $1.5 million above the budgeted amount last year.

Rudy

On Mar 16, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Wojtek S wrote[WS:] Correct. Overhead at at JHU is about 27% if memory serves and is