[lbo-talk] Manufacturing Discontent

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 10:53:21 PDT 2010

Raised on your stuff by Friedland and O'Connor, this commentary is one I appreciate very much. In Jim's terms, kinda, within mid-20th C capitalism Progressive reformers and liberal social movements had established a temporarily stable political economic terrain where the costs of maintaining, reproducing and rehabilitating (the naturalized) ecological, personal and communal conditions of capitalist production (the conditions of life for the rest of us) had been successfully socialized into the state, an apparatus which simultaneously - in Habermasian terms - fostered capital accumulation and legitimated its privatization of profits. In the process, however, citizen-producers were ideologically transformed into consumer-citizens as the commodification of needs expanded into ever wider and deeper realms of ecological, personal and communal reproduction... primitive accumulation of a sort. On the one hand, consumer citizens embraced that role because the socialization of maintaining, reproducing and rehabilitating their conditions of life appeared to made reliable by the state (whether or not it actually was). On the other hand, consumer citizens generated liberal movements to incrementally extend the state's maintenance, reproduction and rehabilitation of conditions of production and life. In the early 1970s, this system began to implode for a whole host of reasons... perhaps it reached its limit in the context of national development (the closing of the American frontier redux), perhaps the social, poltical and cultural movements of the 1960s did it in, perhaps the Viet Nam war did it in, perhaps the oil shock did it in, perhaps the incompetence of American industrial strategy did it in, perhaps its all of this and moer but the result was stagflation and steering, legitimation, motivation, and fiscal crisis. At this point, I think you are saying, the neoliberal/neoconservative coalition solidified in the name of ideologically and materially de-socializing (re-naturalizing, re-personalizing, and re-communalizing) the maintenance, reproduction and rehabilitation of the conditions of life/production. You argue that this isn't primitive accumulation, really, but that it might could be seen as a kind of modern variant. Of course, desocializing nature means recommiting to private property (and deregulation), desocializing people means an ideology of personal responsibility (and social irresponsibility) and desocializing communities means enclosiung public space and reducing the corporate, property and personal tax "burden" necessary to maintain the bureaucracies that regulated private and personal access to natures, bodies and communities.

yeah, its formulaic... yeah, its too sweeping and insufficiently empirical... but, yeah, I like what you say and hope I've translated it correctly.