[lbo-talk] the Kultur Krisis

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Mar 17 10:55:57 PDT 2010

As I recall, the last "golden age" for Hollywood was back in the 1970s when were having our last major economic crisis. So far, no signs of another golden age anywhere in sight.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] the Kultur Krisis Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:43:52 -0400

On Mar 17, 2010, at 1:19 PM, Dennis Perrin wrote:

> <http://wsws.org/articles/2010/mar2010/nyc2-m17.shtml>
>
> This is what I'm trying to address comedically, albeit in autobio
> form. This analysis is not only accurate, it's an indictment. And so
> far, a lot of comics have no stomach for this shit, as I've recently
> experienced point blank. Call me crazy, but I'm going through with
> it. What else is there to do?

Go for it, man. We need you.

I thought this piece was an accurate indictment. I usually resist the "things are getting worse" line, but Walsh makes a convincing case that even the Hollywood mainstream used to do a lot better. Sometimes crises can bring out the best in a society but that doesn't seem to be happening here in the USA. It's like everyone's brain dead.