[lbo-talk] the Kultur Krisis

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 10:43:09 PDT 2010

magcomm: Not nearly so much under the studio system. The movies Walsh praises come from a time when Hollywood was flush. Movies did have to make a reasonable return, but one misfire did not kill a career or shutter a studio (that came in the 1960's). At one point, the returns made by the Freed Unit alone supported MGM's entire output: a studio could produce some radical films under such circumstances. Nowadays, most films are independent productions of some sort that must fully support themselves.

[WS:] I very much appreciate your insights into the organization of film making. Very informative, indeed.

BTW, a similar but more general point was made by "our man" in the evil camp of economist profession, John Kenneth Galbraith, arguing specifically that large corporations have a greater capacity for producing public goods than small producers under a market regime - precisely because large organizations are better shielded from the raving effect and the anarchy of the market.

Wojtek