[lbo-talk] the Kultur Krisis

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 08:45:40 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM, magcomm <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> Walsh knows this. But as he points out money has long been a problem in Hollywood.
>
> Not nearly so much under the studio system.  The movies Walsh praises come from a
> time when Hollywood was flush.

Thanks for your words on this thread. From my interactions at the fringes of the movie industry, I think you articulate exactly how contemporary Hollywood operates.

It's interesting that Walsh seems completely unknowledgable about and even uninterested in the economy of Hollywood. (Maybe, Marv, it's not just the masses who need education!) Which on one level is fine, I guess, but then his call for more "socially conscious" filmmaking is vacuous because he doesn't take into account how difficult Hollywood's productive arrangements make that. (Sorry, thunderous phrases like "corporate control" do not count as a critique of political economy.) Instead he thinks what's needed is deeper commitment, stronger will, and better consciousness. Those things apparently are enough to overcome the relations that produce the movie commodity. No politics are needed.