[lbo-talk] teacher union bashing

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 18:09:39 PDT 2010

I heard this recently (around the time of the NYT Magazine cover article on "Building a better teacher") from a long-time former kindergarten teacher. Very liberal, strong defender of Obama, but wavering recently . . . When I pressed her on Obamacare a couple of months ago, she took the position that I was being too demanding, not reasonable, etc. etc. More recently she has expressed frustration that the Dems have conceded a lot on the bill and gotten nothing in return.

Her basic thing with respect to teachers unions was that when she was teaching, you always knew that there were people who slid by doing the least that they could possibly do, while others (like herself, and I believe her on this) worked their butts off. And then the unions protect them.